Musk has opened the door for several notables previously banned from Twitter to return to the platform— including entertainer Kanye West and former President Donald Trump. However, Musk drew the line when it came to shock-jock news host and entertainer Alex Jones.
Over the weekend, Musk declared that he would “never” allow conspiracy theorist Alex Jones back on the Twitter platform.
Musk’s decision is reportedly tied to his loss of his firstborn child to SIDS and Jones’ exploitation of children who were killed at a school shooting.
Speaking of his decision to maintain the ban on Jones and the loss of his child, Musk posted to Twitter: “My firstborn child died in my arms. I felt his last heartbeat. I have no mercy for anyone who would use the deaths of children for gain, politics, or fame.”
Jones, who hosts the quasi-news “Infowars” podcast, claimed for almost 10 years that the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was a hoax. Jones claimed that the shooting was staged, that there were no deaths at the school and that the news profiled crisis actors to propagate a false narrative to advance liberal gun control and confiscation initiatives.
In November, a judge ordered Jones to pay parents of Sandy Hook school shooting victims more than $950,000,000.
RTM previously reported that Jones decried the judge’s order, referring to it as “the devil coming after us.”
In an online rant after the verdict was read, Jones claimed he was the victim of a “show trial,” the proceedings were a “fraud” and the children’s parents were being “used” to advance a hidden agenda.
Jones also claimed he was “bankrupt” — though officials claim he is attempting to shield his wealth. Regarding the unprecedented fines, Jones said: “Ain’t gonna be happening. Ain’t no money.”
Jones added: “Do these people actually think they’re getting any of this money?”
The strident and callous way Jones spoke of the children who died during the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy was particularly repugnant to Musk whose first child, Nevada Alexander, died of SIDS at 10 weeks old.
Recounting Nevada’s death, Elon’s ex-wife Justine wrote: “By the time paramedics resuscitated him, he had been deprived of oxygen for so long that he was brain dead.
He spent three days on life support in a hospital in Orange County before we made the decision to take him off it,” said Justine. “I held him in my arms when he died.”
Musk has not specified who decided to maintain Jones’ ban but in October said that a “content moderation council” would be established to determine who should be banned from the platform.
In the video posted on Sunday, Jones alleged that Musk was under political pressure not to allow him back on Twitter. Describing himself as “the most controversial figure in the world,” Jones railed against the “reign of surveillance and censorship” of large tech companies and government agencies.
Jones attempted to downplay the Twitter ban, saying: “Now, do I blame Elon Musk for this? No, ladies and gentlemen. And quite frankly, I don’t care if I get brought back to Twitter.”
For his part, Musk also appeared to downplay comments of those opposed to his decision, responding simply, “Too bad.”
In a follow-up tweet last week, Musk announced he would reinstate the Twitter accounts of Kathie Griffin, Jordan Peterson and The Babylon Bee.